A simple, rustic retreat on Jersey’s rugged north coast
- Low season 3 January to 27 March and 28 October to 20 December
- 2 weekday nights £325
- 2 weekend nights £325
- Mid season 17 April to 30 June and 11 September to 15 October
- 2 weekday nights £345
- 2 weekend nights £450
- High season 28 March to 14 April and 6 July to 8 September and 21 December to 5 January 2025
- 2 weekday nights £425
- 2 weekend nights £505
- Address East side of Bouley Bay, Les Platons, Trinity
- Bus route 3
Parking (10 min walk away)
Wi-Fi not available
Terms & conditions
- You must be aged 30 or above to hire this Jersey Heritage site – you must be on-site for the duration of the hire. Proof of identification will be required at the time of booking.
- Jersey Heritage will take a security deposit of £500 depending on the site hired. This is only retained if keys are lost, there is damage to the property, excessive cleaning required after your departure, or there has been a disturbance at the property affecting local residents. The deposit will be returned once the property has been checked upon your departure by the site supervisor, and Jersey Heritage, the Duty Centennier or our appointed security company have not had to visit the site due to a disturbance. Please note your deposit may not be collected on the return of the key. Jersey Heritage expects the property to be left in good order and the inventory to be complete.
- Jersey Heritage will notify Parish Honorary Police, States Police, and other emergency services in advance of all bookings. This information will include the name, address and a 24-hour contact number of the hirer.
- No items may be sold on-site.
- No tickets may be advertised or sold to an event held over the duration of the booking without the prior agreement of Jersey Heritage.
- No event taking place on Jersey Heritage sites maybe advertised through social media or the Internet without the prior agreement of Jersey Heritage. Any event taking place without prior consent of Jersey Heritage will terminate the contract with immediate effect and may incur the loss of your deposit. For further cancellation agreements please see point 34.
- Any music played or performed must be kept at an acceptable level so as not to disturb neighbours; all music must cease at 11pm. If an unacceptable level of disturbance occurs, Jersey Heritage retains the right to ask the hirer and all guests to immediately vacate the site without further notice.
- No generators or large electrical equipment may be brought onto a property, or within the vicinity of the property, without prior agreement with Jersey Heritage.
- No fundraising may take place in any Jersey Heritage property without prior agreement of Jersey Heritage.
- Weddings can only be held on-site in conjunction with Jersey Heritage. Additional fees may apply to a wedding held on-site, which will be agreed by Jersey Heritage in advance of the booking.
- Site capacity is restricted to 10 persons. By makinguse of the site, you are deemed to accept thisrestriction. In the event of exceeding these limitsyou will be required immediately to leave the site.
- Due respect must be shown to the building or land and plants and animal life thereon – in particular, the colony of wall lizards, which is a protected species under the Conservation of Wildlife (Jersey) Law 2000.
- The instructions for the compostable toilet facility must be explained to all members of the group and adhered to. Rubbish, toilet paper, sanitary products or wipes must be disposed of in bins and removed by the hirer from the site at the end of the hire period. Urinating anywhere on-site other than the toilets is strictly prohibited.
- Fort users must park in the public car park. At no time may vehicles be parked on adjacent private land without the express permission of the owner, or on the main road without prior consent of the Parish of Trinity. Parking on the adjacent private land without permission will result in the hire being terminated.
CONTRACT AND WARRANTIES
- Once we have accepted your booking and payment a contract has been entered into that includes all of the listed conditions. Payment of all required amounts when they are due is the essence of the contract.
- When you make a booking you declare that you are over 30 years of age and will be present for the duration of the hire. You accept full responsibility for all persons who will use the property during the period booked, and affirm that you have read and fully understood our booking terms and conditions.
- We will not accept bookings on behalf of another individual – for example, a parent hiring on behalf of their teenage child or a member hiring a property for a non-member and thereby sharing their discount.
- You will indemnify Jersey Heritage in respect of all claims or actions arising out of your use of the site. You are strongly urged to ensure that you have the necessary insurance cover to back this indemnity.
- An initial enquiry over the telephone or via email does not constitute a booking. A booking is firm when full payment has been received and confirmed to you in writing.
- Hirers are responsible for the collection and return of all keys to the Jersey Museum at the end of a booking. Keys can be collected from the reception of the Jersey Museum at the Weighbridge between 1pm and 4.40pm. Failure to collect the keys on the allotted day will result in your hire period being reduced until the following day when you can collect the keys at the Jersey Museum after 10am.
- Failure to return the keys to Jersey Museum before 12pm on your day of departure may result in the loss of your £500 deposit. Loss of keys will result in the loss of your £500 deposit with a further charge of £100 being charged to the hirer to cover the cost of lock changes.
- Your credit/debit card details will be kept safely on file until the property has been checked upon your departure by the site supervisor. Damage to the property and its contents, a disturbance affecting local residents as a result of your stay, additional cleaning, or failure to return all of the keys to Jersey Heritage will incur a minimum loss of deposit of £500. Any further charges deemed necessary by Jersey Heritage as a result of your stay will be charged to your credit card.
23. All payments are in sterling. All major credit cards, with the exception of American Express, are accepted.
LOSS OR DAMAGE
24. Jersey Heritage shall not be responsible for any loss or damage to any belongings, or injuries sustained by you or any of your party whilst staying at one of our properties.
- On booking you agree to indemnify us against all loss and damage arising directly or indirectly to the property and its contents, from any deliberate or negligent act or omission by yourself or any person, and without limitation of the foregoing, to pay us forthwith, upon written demand, our costs in making good any such damage and cleaning.
SECURING THE PROPERTY
- The property must be left secure, with all windows and doors closed and locked on your departure or whenever you leave the property unattended.
- On your departure, all keys must be returned to Jersey Museum by the date and time quoted on your key collection form.
- In the event of intruders or uninvited guests gaining access to the site, the hirer will be required to contact the police.
- No temporary structure, in any form, is permitted on-site without express written permission from Jersey Heritage.
- Barbecues are only permitted in appropriate outside areas; open fires are restricted to the working fireplace at L’Etacquerel; open fires within the grounds or outside the immediate confines of the Tower are prohibited due to the risk of furze/gorse fires.
- Setting off fireworks, flares and the placing of open lanterns on-site or in the surrounding area is strictly prohibited.
- Dogs are permitted but must be kept under control and faeces must be picked up and removed from the site and the surrounding area.
- Parking is within the designated areas only. Any parking fines incurred during a booking are the responsibility of the hirer.
- All materials brought onto the site must be removed at end of use, including all litter and perishables. At all times the site, the surrounding area and car park must be kept clean and tidy and free from litter or rubbish. If Jersey Heritage is required to clean the site or surrounding area after your use you will lose your £500 cash deposit. Jersey Heritage may charge further amounts to your credit/debit card if necessary for further cleaning.
CANCELLATION OF BOOKINGS
- Should you need to cancel a booking you must notify us as soon as possible. Your deposit is non-refundable and the following cancellation charges will apply:
• More than 90 days before your arrival; your deposit
• 89 to 60 days before your arrival; 50% of the total rental
• 59 to 30 days before your arrival; 75% of the total rental
• 29 days or less before your arrival; 90% of the total rental
• On your arrival date or early departure; 100% of total rental
- In addition, you will be responsible for any travel costs incurred by you in relation to the booking. We do not operate a cancellation insurance scheme and strongly recommend that you ensure your own appropriate cover.
- Jersey Heritage may cancel your booking at any time before your arrival date. We would expect to do this only for essential building work or for some other reason unforeseen at the time of your booking.
- In the unlikely event of this happening, all money received in relation to your booking by Jersey Heritage will be refunded. We will not have any liability beyond this and without limitation of the foregoing, Jersey Heritage will not be liable for travel costs incurred by you in relation to the booking.
- We accept no liability for any works or activity of any sort occurring on any premises adjoining or neighbouring any one of our properties, nor shall we be responsible for making enquiries about the likelihood of, or providing, any information to you about any such works or activity.
- However, if it is perceived by Jersey Heritage that the property has been hired for what it considers inappropriate or unsafe use, including, but not limited to, a breach of any of these terms and conditions and any action that may pose a threat to the conservation or security of the property or its environment in any way, the hire will be cancelled with the loss of hire fees and your deposit as detailed in point 34.
CONTACT DETAILS AND ACCESS
- Hirers must provide us with a mobile telephone number that will be in use for the duration of your stay, as we may need to access the property for essential maintenance purposes and will need to notify you beforehand. In the unlikely event of this happening, there will be no need for you to wait at the property and we will attempt to give you as much notice as possible, but should we not be able to contact you then access may still be necessary.
Jersey Heritage collects and processes the personal data that you submit as part of your booking or enquiry for a number of purposes, including the following:
- To respond to your enquiry
- To process your booking as part of our contract with you
- As part of our legal obligations, e.g. for health and safety purposes
- To enforce our rules and policies
- To comply with orders/requests received from public and regulatory governmental and judicial bodies, e.g. States of Jersey Police for emergency response and anti-social behaviour
If you give your consent, we will also use your personal data to contact you and notify you of any special events, organisational developments and promotions offered by Jersey Heritage.
You can remove this consent for marketing at any time by contacting
firstname.lastname@example.org or simply unsubscribing from our e-shots.
Storage of Personal Data
Data is stored electronically off-site by a third-party data storage provider. To ensure that your personal information receives an adequate level of protection, we have put in place appropriate procedures with the third parties we share your personal data with to ensure that your personal information is treated by those third parties in a way that is consistent with, and which respects, the law on data protection.
Your data will not be disclosed to any other ‘third party’ unless required by statute or by obtaining your express approval.
- Sleeps 10
- Self catering
- Dog friendly
- Basic coastal accommodation
Kerouac Adventure Retreat
A beautiful location with just the right balance of leisure and 'roughing it' as we connected to nature.
A weekend with friends
We chose to stay at the fortress for two nights due to its remote location away from everyday life. We enjoyed the peace and tranquilly and the sound of the sea crashing against the rocks below.
Great location and space for a staff gathering
We booked the site for our staff get together and had an enjoyable evening. A very special place, with a view of the sea and the sun going down. Everything was well prepared and the fire worked well to keep us all warm!
Built in the mid-19th century on a cliff side overlooking Bouley Bay, L’Étacquerel Fort is a great (if basic) base for an adventure on Jersey’s beautiful and rugged north coast. What it lacks in mod cons L’Etacquerel Fort makes up for in character and stunning views.
Built with traditional Jersey granite, the property itself is very utilitarian, it has no running water or electricity. But there are two composting toilets on-site. L’Étacquerel Fort has tables and benches in the guardhouse. But basically you will be camping here in your own private Fort. Spread across two levels, the property has plenty of outside space along with a terraced area.
Situated along a steep coastal path in Jersey’s National Park, access to the Fort is across the dry moat, on a high wooden bridge. Due to the location of the property, we recommend children to be supervised at all times. As with all camping trips we would recommend bringing sleeping equipment, food provisions and torches with you when you stay here.
How many does this property sleep?
L’Etacquerel Fort can accommodate up to 10 people. Very much like camping, you will need to bring all of your sleeping equipment with you.
Can I hire the property for one night?
The minimum number of nights available for all of our properties (except for guided experience properties) is two nights.
How do I collect the keys?
Keys for L’Etacquerel Fort can be collected from Jersey Museum on the day of booking.
Does the property have parking?
L’Etacquerel Fort is located on one of Jersey’s scenic cliff paths and is approximately a 10-minute walk from the nearest public car park.
What are the bathroom facilities?
There are two compostable toilets located within the grounds of the property.
What heating does the property have and does it have a fire?
L’Etacquerel Fort has an open fire, for which you will be given a supply of logs for one fire.
Does the property have running water or electricity?
The property has no running water or electricity. Very much like camping, you will need to bring all of your sleeping equipment with you, including torches.
Are dogs allowed to stay in the property?
Yes, dogs are allowed on the property.
Is there a garden?
Yes there is plenty of enclosed outdoor space.
Is the property suitable for children?
The Fort is not suitable for children under the age of eight years old.
Is a deposit required?
£500 refundable deposit is required on collection of the keys from Jersey Museum. Deposits are returned following the property being checked by a site supervisor, subject to terms and conditions.