L’Etacquerel Fort is a mid-19th-century fortification, built over two levels on an isolated promontory on the north coast. L’Etacquerel was built in the mid-18th century to defend the eastern flank of Bouley Bay. Recently renovated as part of a Jersey government-funded project to open historic buildings for public use, the Fort’s isolated location on the Island’s north coast makes it an ideal location for a family barbecue or picnic, a corporate function or as a base for youth organisations, leisure pursuits and activities such as kayaking or walking. It is perfectly situated for exploring Jersey’s north-east tip and countryside, and is within comfortable off-road walking distance of Bouley Bay and Rozel Harbour.
The Fort did not operate in isolation, but was an addition to the defences of the harbour to reinforce the firepower of Fort Leicester across the bay. That former fortification is available as self-catering accommodation, also as part of the Forts and Towers project. Both installations were upgraded over the years in response to threats of French invasion. As the French threat gradually receded, the British government eventually abandoned fortifications like L’Etacquerel and Fort Leicester, leaving them in the hands of the States of Jersey.
Ordnance Survey maps of 1935, 1981 and 2003 show L’Etacquerel as a disused site, although the States carried out £90,000 of repairs in the early 1990s.