This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Situated in the heart of the beautiful countryside of St Lawrence, Hamptonne Country Life Museum presents six centuries of rural life. Dating back to the 15th century the site includes a traditional farm houses, outbuildings, barns and cider press. The house and farm are brought to life with characters from the Island’s past. The Goodwyf is on hand to share gossip, stories and quirky traditions. There is also a regular programme of demonstrations and guided tours.
The site is open from March 16 to 30 October, please check our website at www.jerseyheritage.org for details as these vary from year to year.
The wide range of restored houses and outbuildings together with machinery and animals help capture rural life. The Syvret house has now been recreated to depict life in the 1940’s. Wildlife can be found in abundance along the nature trails through the meadow and the cider orchard, while for the younger visitors there is an eco friendly play area and the opportunity to see Jersey Calves and piglets in the farm stall area. The animals found on the site should not be touched. They have a very strong smell which can initially be a shock to visitors who have not experienced animals before.
There is a small shop selling a selection of Jersey Products, such as Black Butter and honey soap and country themed gifts. There is a small cafe on the site serving a menu of fresh food including soups, sandwiches, daily specials and homemade cakes. Throughout the season traditional crafts are brought to life such as bonnet making and spinning, the season at Hamptonne culminates in October with a special weekend of activity called Fais’sie d’Cidre, which brings many of the farming and cider making traditions back to life as well as being a fun filled event for all the family with music and song.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01534 863955 or email email@example.com.
- For full details and maps of how to reach Hamptonne please see the explore section of our website: www.jerseyheritage.org/places-to-visit
- Liberty Bus operate the local bus service and the main bus station is at Liberation Station in St Helier, situated on the Esplanade, near Liberty Wharf. All the bus services in the Island operate to and from Liberation Station. The number 7 runs to St Lawrence approximately every two hours. The bus stop is after the Garage in St Lawrence, cross the road and take the signposted land to a 15 minute walk along the green lanes to Hamptonne. To find out more about bus times and services visit: www.libertybus.je or Tel: 01534 828555 or visit the customer service desk at Liberation Station, St Helier, Jersey JE1 3AS
- Hamptonne is situated north of St Helier on Rue de la Patente in St Lawrence
- A passenger and car ferry service operates to Jersey from the UK, Guernsey and France into the harbour in St Helier. To find out more contact Condor Ferries: 0845 6091027 or visit condor ferries.com
- Other passenger ferry services operate seasonally between France and the other Channel Islands to find out more about these services visit www.jersey.com
- The airport is located in the west of the Island, taxis and a regular bus services run from the airport to Liberation Station in St Helier
Car parking and arrival
- There is a free car park at Hamptonne for approximately 45 cars
- Marked bays are laid out in the carpark and there is a designated accessible parking area
- The carpark has an uneven surface and a steep path leads from the carpark to the road
- It is a short walk along the road (100 meters) to the main entrance and ticket office from the carpark
- There is a bicycle rack in the carpark
Main entrance, reception and ticketing area
- The main entrance and ticket area is situated on the ground floor with step free access
- The floor is uneven in areas and is a mixture of tile and concrete surfaces
- There is a seat in the courtyard immediately outside the reception area
- The gift shop is also located in the ticket office
- Wheelchair loan is available free of charge on request
- Bags and coats can be stored on request
- There is a magnetic fly screen to walk through which pulls apart in the middle.
Attraction (displays, exhibits etc)
- Dating back to the 15th Century, the house and farm are brought to life with characters from the Island’s past. Explore the orchard and learn about bygone crafts and quirky traditions from the Goodwyf. There may be different Living History figures around the site who are encouraged to engage with visitors. Find out more about our history of cider making and Jersey apples
- Syvret House at Hamptonne Country Life Museum has recently undergone a major refurbishment and the newly decorated and furnished farmhouse gives a unique window into 1940s rural life, including; agricultural traditions, day-to-day family life language, religion and the experience of the German Occupation. When you enter each of the different rooms a speaker plays an audio recording of conversations that people may have had in these rooms
- During the summer visitors can meet the Hamptonne piglets and calves in the traditional farm-stead with outdoor yard and mud bath. and Celtic sheep graze in the meadow at Hamptonne TBC for 2022
- Special events will take place throughout the year for all the family to enjoy, including the annual Faîs’sie d’Cidre
- The toilets are located in a small building at the end of the main courtyard
- The floors are tiled and even throughout
- There is a separate accessible toilet with hand rails
- All sanitary ware and tiles are white
- The small café at Hamptonne is located in a large barnlike building in the main courtyard. It has a country kitchen style with painted tables and chairs and bone china teapots and cups
- There is seating inside for up to 35 people with additional seating outside in the main courtyard
- Serving freshly prepared food using local produce the daily menu includes soups, sandwiches, homemade cakes and pastries and daily/seasonal specials such as Jersey bean crock
- You can make a reservation by calling 01534 863955 or pop in for afternoon tea
- The shop is situated on the ground floor and has a flat level access from the main entrance area
- The shop floor is tiled and slightly uneven
- The shop sells a range of gifts, books and souvenirs
- All items are priced individually and on the display
- Staff are on hand to provide assistance if required
Grounds and gardens
- There are large areas of grass and gravel paths on the site around and between the buildings, as well as a meadow with stream and apple orchard. Surfaces are uneven and mixed across the site
- There are large trees on and around the edge of the site
- There is a Kitchen and Herb garden and a children’s play area. There are many picnic spots across the site
- A wheelchair is available to borrow at the site please ring ahead to book in advance or ask the Visitor Services Assistant on arrival
- We run a programme to measure and maintain customer care standards
- We have a set of evacuation procedures – should you require it someone will assist you with evacuation if required to a muster point outside of the building
- Staff are happy to offer additional information on the surrounding area; restaurants / hotels / attractions / places of interest
- A hearing Loop is installed on site
Address: Hamptonne Country Life Museum La Rue de la Patente St Lawrence JE3 1 HS
Telephone: 01534 863955
Hours Of Operation: 10am – 5pm seasonal opening March-30 Oct
Local Accessible Taxi: Luxicabs 01534 887000
Local Public Transport: Liberty Bus operate the local bus service in Jersey. To find out more about the service go to: www.libertybus.je or phone: 01534 828555 Via e-mail: to firstname.lastname@example.org On twitter: @libertybusje In writing: LibertyBus La Collette Bus Depot St Helier Jersey JE2 3NX In person at our Customer Service and Information centre: Liberation Station St Helier, Jersey JE1 3AS