Charles Robin was born in St Aubin in 1743. His family were part of the Robin, Pipon and Company firm who traded with Newfoundland.
In 1766 Charles first visited the Gaspé peninsula in Canada and started to develop trade in this area. The family business grew and by 1783 the business was divided between the Newfoundland trade and the Canadian business which was handled by a new firm – Charles Robin and Company.
Charles had significant success in the Gaspé and in 1802 returned to Jersey. Charles settled on Rue du Crocquet at St Magloire and made alterations to the original house between 1802 – 1820 when he added a large drawing room. Charles never married and died in 1824 leaving 480 livres to the poor of the Parish.
A number of Jersey firms, in particular Charles Robin & Co, Le Boutillier Brothers and Janvrin & Janvrin, came to dominate the industry around the Gaspe passage.