St Catherine's Breakwater
The idea was to create a secure anchorage by building two long breakwaters from Verclut and Archirondel. In 1849 work on the southern arm at Archirondel was halted and the 700 metres of the northern breakwater was completed in 1855. Work on the project was then abandoned after over £250,000 had been spent when it was decided that the bay was not deep enough to take the new design of
steam ship. A lighthouse was built on the end of the breakwater in 1857 and was in use until 1950. It was replaced by a more modern unit and the original can still be seen outside of the Maritime Museum in St Helier.
The ownership of the breakwater was transferred to the island authorities in 1878. Today, the breakwater is used by anglers and the sheltered waters behind it is used by St Catherine’s Sailing Club and the Jersey Canoe Club.
St Catherine’s Tower.
A number of ships were built here in St Catherine’s Bay, the majority were cutter rigged for the coastal trade. Amongst the earliest to be launched was the 100-ton schooner Bellona built by Edward Le Huquet & JeanVardon near to Archirondel in 1837. The largest shipbuilders in the bay were J & T Le Huquet who built 43 vessels in their shipyard on the beach by St Catherine’s Tower between 1850 and 1879.
How to get there
Liberty Bus 2a Service, check with Liberty Bus for more details.