The name La Corbière, first recorded in 1309, means the place of the ravens or crows; however, in the 1850s Victor Hugo described it as “the herdsman of the waves”. This south-west corner of the island had a fearsome reputation amongst sailors and was the scene of many wrecks. The 10-metres high lighthouse, designed by Sir John Coode, was completed in November 1873 and was switched on the following April. Built on a rock 500 yards from the shore, it was the world’s first concrete lighthouse and cost just over £8,000. In good visibility, the unmanned, automatic light can be seen for 18 miles.
The lighthouse is 35 feet high. On the side of the causeway a carved stone commemorates Peter Larbalestier, the assistant lighthouse keeper, who drowned trying to rescue a visitor who had been cut off by the tide on 28 May 1946.
How to get there:
Route 12 serves this area where La Corbière is the final stop. Summer season only.
Photography on this page is reproduced thanks to Chris Brookes.