Jean Janvrin was one of the merchant traders who operated the triangular cod trade between the Gaspé, the West Indies and the Mediterranean. The Janvrin family had been involved with the transatlantic trade for several generations.
In common with many traders Jean maintained a base at St Aubin on the Rue du Crocquet. His house, L’Anciennette was located on the right hand side of the road in part of the building that is now St Aubyn’s Hotel Apartments. The house was bought in 1803 by Jean from Thomas Pipon’s creditors. Pipon had gone bankrupt and the house was sold into the Janvrin family in order to help him pay his debts.