The builders, Thomas Le Gros and Francis de la Mare, took six years to complete the work and the cost was £549,000. It was renamed the Albert Pier in 1859 in honour of the Prince Consort following a second Royal Visit. In 1902 the pier head was rebuilt and the slipway at the end of the pier was filled in the late 1920s.
As well as general cargo being unloaded onto the quayside, the Great Western Railway Company’s mailboats used this pier and in 1973 the island’s first roll on/roll off car ferry operated here. On 20 June 1940 volunteers from the Royal Jersey Militia left the island on board the Hoder and it was here in January 1945 that the Vega unloaded much needed Red Cross supplies.
The Victoria Pier is part of the 19th century developments of St Helier Harbour. It was originally called the New South Pier and
the foundation stone was laid in 1841. The builders, Thomas Le Gros and Jean Gruchy, completed their work in 1846 at a cost to the States of £280,000. When Queen Victoria visited the island later the same year the pier was officially renamed the Victoria Pier in her honour. The promenade and parapet were built to provide shelter because until the La Collette Marina and tanker berth were built in the 1970s this quay was the outermost section of the harbour complex. In 1928 this part of the harbour was dredged and the pier-head was rebuilt. This arm of the harbour was used by the London and Southern Railway mailboats.
How to get there.
This link shows you where Victoria Pier is.
South Pier is part of the 18th century developments of St Helier harbour. Work on the pier or le Havre Neuf started in the first half of the 18th century and was paid in a variety of ways - in 1720 the States issued banknotes to help pay, in 1749 a States Lottery was started to raise money and in 1751 King George II gave £300 sterling towards the project. (However, the States spent the money on a statue of the King in the Market Place as a mark of gratitude to him.) In 1765 the South Pier was linked with La Folie. However, the quality of work was poor and it was in constant need of repair. The pier was rebuilt in 1798 and the New Harbour was completed. It was later to become known as the French Harbour.
Throughout the 1920s and 1930s the great Jersey yachtsman T.B. Davis over-wintered his racing schooner Westward here on South Pier.
How to get there
This link shows you where South Pier is