27 April 1915 - WW1 Blog - Jersey Heritage

A shortage of accommodation at the start of the war led to the Militia’s 3rd (Town) Battalion using temporary barracks established at the Canning Factory on Millard’s Corner. This week the militiamen left that location and moved to permanent quarters at Fort Regent.


A shortage of accommodation at the start of the war led to the Militia’s 3rd (Town) Battalion using temporary barracks established at the Canning Factory on Millard’s Corner. This week the militiamen left that location and moved to permanent quarters at Fort Regent.

Since its construction, the Fort has been home for the British Army garrison in Jersey. The Militia, which is a part-time force, have used the various arsenals as headquarters and to store their equipment. Since the start of the war, the arsenals have been in constant use and some are struggling to cope with the number of men stationed in them.

A devastating fire at St Helier’s Nelson Street arsenal several years back forced the Town Battalion to use the Queen’s Assembly Rooms in Belmont Road as a temporary facility. On mobilisation, its men also took over the Canning Factory at Grève D’Azette. There has been widespread criticism of its suitability, however, and so the move to Fort Regent is a welcome one.

To make way for the militiamen, the 11th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment has relocated to tents pitched on the Militia training ground at Quennevais.