26 September 1916 - WW1 Blog - Jersey Heritage

Les Blanches Banques Prisoner of War Camp can be a challenging posting for the guards on duty there, especially during the winter.


Les Blanches Banques Prisoner of War Camp can be a challenging posting for the guards on duty there, especially during the winter. Thanks to the generosity of the local branch of the YMCA, the men will have somewhere pleasant to spend their off duty time. It follows the relocation of the recreation hut formerly situated at the army training grounds at Quennevais to the camp in St Ouen’s Bay.

The YMCA originally built and staffed the training grounds’ hut assuming that the British Army would continue to use the facilities throughout the war. Formerly, the area had been the venue for annual Militia camps, during which the YMCA would provide a recreation tent. Following the departure of the 11th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment, however, it became apparent that the army did not intend sending further troops to Jersey for training.

The Lieutenant Governor opened the hut in its new location this week, in the presence of Lieutenant Colonel Richard, the camp commandant. While the outside is decorated with flowers, inside there is a billiard table, writing and games tables and a canteen. The cost of moving was met by a public donation of £200.

Associated Record:

A/E/11/13 includes a number of references to the POW camp at Les Blanches Banques, including on a local effort to buy a piano for use there.