What's your street's story?

Select an item from the map or just keep scrolling

Mont Millais

The Richmond Map of 1795 shows the area of Mont Millais dominated by lots of fields and only a few houses. From about 1800, more and more people were living in Jersey and town got bigger. That meant that more and more houses were built and the area around Mont Millais got busier and houses replaced the fields.

Hover over the map to zoom in

The names of the streets around Mont Millais have changed over time and are different on different maps. Roll over or touch the street names below to reveal the alternative names of some well known streets in the Mont Millais area...

Mont Millais

Rouge Rue / Claremont Hill

College Hill

Pied des Cruex / Claremont

Mont Pinel

Mont Millais / Rosemount

College Hill was also known as "crackankle" lane
because it was so dangerous to walk on!


Georgetown is now an important, bustling, highly residential area in the southern part of the Parish of St Saviour. However, this has not always been the case, as there has been massive expansion over the past 200 years.

Despite people thinking that Georgetown was named after King George, it was in fact named after George Ingouville, a local business man and property developer. His obituary in the newspaper the Jersey Loyalist dated 10th November 1828 reads:

"George Ingouville died in his 68th year at la Fregoniere House, St Saviour. He was the founder of George-Town, near St Helier and was perhaps the largest speculator in land and houses that had yet appeared in this island".

It wasn't named after King George!

There were at least two schools in Georgetown in the 19th century.

Georgetown Commercial School was operated by George Messervy and his sister at the Masonic Lodge. It was a private school which was later demolished and is now part of the Merton Hotel site. There was also St Luke’s Parochial School, which is still a school today. A printed report on the school dated 1887 lists an average daily attendance of nearly 300 pupils with Mr W Burt as the head teacher.

St Lukes report 1887

daily attendance



Mr W Burt

CCVX February 28 1889

Salvation Army in Trouble!

An Exciting Scene in Gorey


The Salvation Army were based in Gorey village, in the New Road from the late 1800s until it closed in the late 1950s. The Salvation Army has a love of playing music and their bands are particularly famous. However people in Gorey did not also like their music.

On 28th February 1889, an article in the Guernsey Star was titled ‘The Salvation Army in Trouble – an exciting scene in Gorey’. The article describes how many people complained about the noise of the Army band and despite the police asking them to stop, they continued. Eventually, the band were arrested by the police. Before the matter came to court however the band went back to Gorey Village and started to play again. The person causing the most noise was apparently the drummer. The police were summoned again and tried to take the drum away – this led to a fight over the drum, with the drum finally ending being hidden in the Centenier’s house!

To find out more

View the Annual

Supported by Mourant Ozannes