Dolmens and Passage Graves - Heritage Landscape - Jersey Heritage

Jersey has a large number of Neolithic dolmen and passage graves, many of which are free to access.

La Pouquelaye de Faldouet

This Neolithic passage grave was built around 6,000 years ago (c. 4000-3250 BC). It consists of a passage leading into an unusual double chamber.

The main chamber is open and surrounded by a series of small stone cists (boxes) while the end chamber is covered by a massive 24-ton capstone. The whole site was originally encircled by a low mound with two drystone walls and a ring of
upright stones. The site was first recorded in 1682 and was excavated three times before 1910. Human remains were found in the cists and finds from the chamber include pottery vessels, two polished stone axes and two stone pendants.

How to get there.

In a field near the junction of Le Mont Mallet and La Rue de la Marettes

Dolmen de Mont Ubé

This Neolithic passage grave was built around 6,000 years ago (c. 4000-3250 BC).It consists of a passage leading into an oval chamber with four internal cells. There may have been an outer ring of stones and a low mound over the site. Unfortunately the monument was badly destroyed by quarrymen before it was excavated in 1848. It had also been used as a rubbish dump and a pigsty. Finds from the site include burnt bone from the internal cells, fragments of decorated pottery, polished stone axes, stone pendants and a much later Roman gaming piece.

How to get there.

Found in trees approximately 100m from La Rue de la Blinerie in St Clement Jersey.

Lat / Long:      049º 10' 26"N / 002º 04' 22"W

La Hougue des Géonnais

This Neolithic passage grave was built around 6,000 years ago (4000-3250BC). It consists of a passage leading into an unusual chamber which was originally ‘D’ shaped but later extended to produce a large open rectangular chamber.  The site was first excavated in 1929 and was reinvestigated between 1985 and 1990. The monument had been badly damaged by quarrymen who took many of the stones. Excavation revealed the position of these stones and they have now been replaced with granite blocks. Finds from the site include a large number of flint tools, decorated pottery fragments and broken querns.

How to get there

Latitude: 49.250351N  Longitude: 2.214026W.  Neolithic passage grave in St. Ouen Jersey, found going up La Rue des Geonnais near the field for right hand side. 

Les Monts Grantez

This Neolithic passage grave was built around 6,000 years ago (c. 4000-3250 BC) and consists of a passage leading into an asymmetrical chamber with a single side chamber. A mound covered the structure prior to excavations in 1912. Seven skeletons (six adults and a child) were found in the chamber, all were in a crouched position, lying on their sides and accompanied by limpet shells, bones of cattle, deer, horse, pig and goat and small piles of brightly coloured pebbles. An eighth skeleton was buried in a seated position in the passage. Other finds include a variety of pottery vessels, including a miniature cup and perforated shallow saucer, stone implements and a spindle whorl.

How to get there

This link shows you the location of this passage grave in St Ouen Jersey.

La Sergenté

This Neolithic passage grave was built around 6,500 years ago (c. 4500-3250 BC). It consists of a short passage leading into a circular chamber of drystone construction and would originally have had a corbelled roof.  The passage and chamber are paved with granite slabs except for an area in the southwest corner which is partitioned off by a curved line of slabs set on end. The site was covered by a mound prior to excavation in 1923. No human remains were found and the only finds were four pottery vessels. This is the only corbelled passage grave known in the Channel Islands and possibly the earliest dolmen in the island.

How to get there

Latitude: 49.185702N  Longitude: 2.231518W St Brelade Jersey

La Hougue Boëte

This Neolithic monument was built around 6,000 years ago (4000-3250 BC). It consists of a large mound with a massive rectangular stone cist (box) in the centre. La Hougue Boëte The mound has been badly eroded so that its original shape and size are unknown. It was excavated in 1911 by Raworth and Mauger who claim to have found within the cist the bones of a horse and part of a male skeleton. This would be very unusual for a monument of this age and may suggest the later reuse of the site. Other finds include a fragment of polished stone axe, pottery and a flint tool.
La Hougue Boëte is also of historical interest for it is believed to be the site of a Seigneurial court.

How to get there.

La Rue des Buttes.
Lat / Long:      049º 14' 25.7"N / 002º 08' 38.1"W

La Hougue des Platons

This Late Neolithic/Chalcolithic cist-in-circle was built around 5,000 years ago (2850-2250 BC). It consists of a low circular mound which originally covered a small square stone cist (box) and surrounded by a circle of upright stones and drystone walling. La Hougue des Platons The site is incomplete as the cist was removed from the centre of the mound during investigations in 1914 and re-erected in the grounds of La Hougue
Bie Museum, Grouville. Two pottery vessels were found in the cist, one of which contained cremated remains, apparently of an adult and child.

How to get there

100m north east of the radio mast at Les Platons, behind a house.
Lat / Long:      049º 14' 53"N / 002º 06' 00"W

Le Dolmen du Couperon

This Late Neolithic gallery grave (or allée couverte) was built around 5,000 years ago (3250-2250 BC). It consists of a rectangular chamber set within an enclosure of upright stones, which may originally have formed the edge of a long low mound that covered the
monument. Le Dolmen du Couperon The site has been badly excavated and restored, first in 1868 and again in 1919. An interesting feature of the monument is the porthole slab which now blocks the entrance. It was incorrectly placed here during restoration in 1919. The stone would originally have been positioned to separate the main chamber from an antechamber. Finds from the site include flint flakes and pottery fragments.

How to get there

At the end of La Rue du Scez overlooking Le Havre du Scez (Saie).
Lat / Long:      049º 14' 03.6"N / 002º 02' 06.8"W


This Late Neolithic gallery grave (or allée couverte) was built around 5,000 years ago (3250-2250 BC). It consists of a rectangular chamber set within an enclosure of upright stones, which may originally have formed the edge of a long low mound that covered the monument.
Ville-ès-Nouaux Only seven of the capstones remain. The site was excavated in 1869 by S P Oliver and F Porter and re-excavated by Bellis & Cable in 1883. Evidence from within the tomb shows two distinct periods of use, the older layer had few finds but the upper layer contained the remains of numerous decorated beakers and Chalcolithic Jersey Bowls. This is a Late Neolithic/Chalcolithic cist-incircle (2850-2250 BC). The central stone cist (box) would probably have contained human remains but was found to be totally empty when excavated in 1883 by Bellis & Cable. The
cist was originally surrounded by a ring of rocks set on edge and covered by a low mound. A number of roughly made urns containing cremated human remains were found buried close to the tombs these are typical of a late Bronze or early Iron Age grave (800-450 BC).

How to get there

This link shows the location of the site.

Les Blanches Banques

The Ossuary
This Chalcolithic rectangular cist grave (2850-2250BC) was excavated in 1923 and partially reconstructed in 1972. It contained the disarticulated remains of around twenty individuals. The human remains consisted mainly of skulls and long bones which suggests that the site was a repository for bodies that had been exposed and de-fleshed elsewhere. Two decorated pots called Jersey Bowls were found in the grave.
The Menhirs (2850-1500BC)
Three menhirs or standing stones can be seen in the dunes, the Broken Menhir and Little Menhir close to the Ossuary and the Great Menhir on rising ground 350 metres to the south. They were all excavated and restored during the 1920s. It is not known whether these stones had a ritual use or whether their function was entirely practical, perhaps as boundary markers.
La Tête des Quennevais
This Chalcolithic ritual complex (2850-2250BC) was discovered
 n 1986 on the high land immediately overlooking the Ossuary. It consists of a small earth mound, with a facing of granite and shale boulders, associated with an earth platform and two small stone cists (boxes). Fragments of several Jersey Bowls were found beneath the mound, as well as flint arrowheads and fragments of stone axes.

How to get there

This link shows the location of the site.

La Hougue Bie

This Neolithic passage grave was in use around 6,000 years ago (4000-3250 BC). It is one of the largest and best preserved passage graves in Europe. It was first excavated in 1924 when human remains, pottery, flint tools, beads and animal bones were found inside the tomb. In the 1990s excavations exposed the original entrance to the passage and an equinoctial alignment was discovered at this time. A stone vaulted chapel was erected on the summit of the mound in the 12th century. It was later remodelled in the 16th century and became a local centre of pilgrimage. In 1792 Philippe d’Auvergne enveloped the chapel in a miniature Neo-Gothic ‘castle’ which became a famous landmark known as the Prince’s Tower. During World War II the German forces built a battalion command bunker on the site.  Visit La Hougue Bie

Some photography on this page is reproduced thanks to Chris Brookes.