Jersey Archive holds records from the Ecclesiastical Court as well as Church of England, Catholic, Methodist and Independent Church records.
The earliest records of the Ecclesiastical Court date from 1557. The Jersey Archive holds the rolls of the Court from 1557 until 1899. The Court was used to try people who were accused of ‘moral crimes’ e.g. adultery. The Ecclesiastical Court was also responsible for probate in the Island until 1949 when this function was taken on by the Judicial Greffe. All probate documents that were created by the Ecclesiastical Court have been transferred to the Archive.
The Archive holds records from the following parish and district churches:
St Helier, St Clement, St Martin, St Saviour, St Mary, St Ouen, St Matthew, St Simon, St Andrew, St Marks, Grouville, St Brelade, St Lawrence, St John, St Peter, Trinity, Gouray, All Saints, St Luke and St James.
The Archive holds the baptism, marriage and burial records of the following Roman Catholic Churches; St Thomas’, St Mary and St Peters, St Matthew’s, Sacred Heart, St John and St Anthony Chapel (baptisms only) and St Anne’s (baptisms only). There are also indexes for the St Thomas’ records available to order.
The Archive also holds baptism, marriage and burial registers for the majority of Methodist Chapels in the Island. The Methodist collection also contains lists of Sunday School attendees, membership lists and class books which can prove useful for the family historian. Early registers appear within the Circuit records and then later within individual chapels and span the years 1836 – 1989.
Records are also held for the following Independent Churches; Halkett Place Evangelical Church – Registers from 1809 – 1947, New Church Society - Registers from 1844 – 1987, United Reformed Church - Registers from 1827 – 1965, Jersey Baptist Church and the Presbyterian Church.